Monday, October 10, 2011

I can't open my front door!

I can’t close my front door!
This troublesome door is caused by a storm. The wind caused the rainwater to fly and slams at my front door.
Of course, as a handyman (without the right tools), I knew that sticking doors can result from rotting wood (if it’s made of wood), improper installation, or the house settling (it can also be caused by a violent and drunken enemy). Or the hinges may turn loose. But mine is caused by humidity factor.
Anyway, let me tell you a way to repair loose hinges. Open the door to expose the hinges. Slip a wedge under the bottom rail to support the door. Tighten all the screws. In case of loose screws, try using a longer screw and see if it will hold good. Or use toothpicks dipped in glue to stuff the hole space.
A door swells when it’s damp. It can happen overnight during a storm. When you wake-up in the morning, you’ll find yourself fighting hard to open it. (It’s not a good exercise though) And if you’re not careful, you can break the handle. Remember that the air will shrink as the air dries out. It’s only a seasonal problem. (A hair dryer can help here) always remember, if you want to do it yourself, common sense can help.

0 comments:

Post a Comment